Monday, October 29, 2012

Lou's Deli @ 8220 W McNichols, Detroit. 7 out of 10.

This was my first Detroit restaurant visit on a Saturday. I woke up early and began riding my bike from my northern suburb residence toward downtown Detroit. Two hours later, I was looking over the Detroit River into Canada. This was all in preparation for the Iceman Cometh race next weekend in Traverse City. On my way back home, I became famished and wanted to stop somewhere to eat. I pushed myself to make it back to McNichols to try a restaurant that's in my target reviewing area.

This breaks my pattern of west side, east side, central, but Lou's Deli was convenient. Before stopping, I didn't realize that Lou's is actually a chain. There are also locations on 7 Mile in Detroit and on 9 Mile in Southfield. Their slogan is the chipper "Lou's Deli, good for the Beli."

Since I was on my bike and forgot to bring a lock with me, I took my front wheel off and left my bike in the entryway.

Guy named Tony jokingly said, "What if someone rides away on your bike doing a really long wheelie? Or what if they're really good at riding a unicycle?"

They lady behind the counter told me that their corned beef is really good, but I opted for a turkey reuben instead. The sandwich was pretty large, and it came with pickles on the side and my choice of dressing. I chose the Russian dressing, which is akin to thousand island. And it was delicous, with a layer of bread between the turkey and the sauer kraut.

Overall I give Lou's a 7 out of 10.  The food was really good, but it was served on a small styrofoam tray and my cup was also made of styrofoam. Also, it was a negative that this is a chain and that the employees were behind Plexiglas. On the positive side, there was plenty of seating at the booths, and the employees were very friendly and helpful. One of them even swept the floor while I was there. Next time I'll be heading back to the east side. Really.





No comments:

Post a Comment