Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Asian Corned Beef @ 2847 E 7 Mile Rd, Detroit

This week I had another opportunity to try a restaurant in Detroit. My last visit took me to the 48221, so this time I decided to head east to the 48234. I got on I-75, exited at 7 Mile, and started driving east. At the intersection of 7 Mile and Conant, I spotted a restaurant named Asian Corned Beef, with smaller letters below adding, "And Seafood."

At first I thought this was a to go restaurant, but upon entry I noticed two tables and four chairs. Not large enough to take your department there for lunch, but enough to suffice for a two-person escapade. As I looked up, a face appeared behind one inch thick bulletproof glass. She asked how I had heard of her restaurant, so I politely replied, "Google Maps."

I began to peruse the sampling of food laid out behind deli-style glass. I was told that they are known for their egg rolls, of which I counted six different types on display. So I ordered a "grill chicken" eggroll and a "corn beef & swiss" eggroll, plus macaroni salad and a can of Ohana raspberry lemonade. My wife would be saddened to know they do not serve iced tea.

A gentleman behind the glass alerted me that my food was ready, and he kindly rounded (up?) my total to the nearest dollar amount. Not a big deal, but it could add up if eating there often. So I put my cash into a revolving door, and my lunch promptly appeared.

I took a seat and took a bite out of the grill chicken egg roll, but to my dismay the chicken tasted more like fake chicken I used to get at the supermarket. The corned beef egg roll, on the other hand, was delicious. It was like a deep-fried Reuben sandwich. The macaroni salad was just ok, and I was disappointed that it was served in a bowl made of styrofoam. As I ate, a lady tried ordering some food, and the voice behind the glass asked, "Why you whispering?"

Halfway through, a stranger sat at my table and asked me, "What do they call that? Pita bread?" I said yes and continued, while she asked me if I worked for GM and what I was doing in the neighborhood. She then proceeded to tell me to get my business done and keep it moving to stay safe. I felt safe until she said that, other than that the people serving me were behind bulletproof glass.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I give this restaurant a 6 out of 10 for lunch. Its proximity to the suburbs, quick service, and great corned beef were all pluses. Next time I might try the turkey sandwich -- and a turkey Reuben egg roll would be a great addition to the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment