Sunday, October 21, 2012

Dennis Julian's Coney Island @ 5 W 7 Mile Rd, Detroit. 2 out of 10.

This week's visit took me to another restaurant on 7 Mile Rd, but this time was more centrally located. Before I begin the review of Dennis Julian's Coney Island, I must mention that I first stopped at National Bakery at 736 East State Fair. Although they don't serve lunch or have tables to sit at, they have a great selection of baked goods. As I entered, a young lady appeared and greeted me. I asked her what the healthiest item was, which turned out to be an oatmeal raisin cookie. I took it with me, scarfing down half of it on my way to my next stop.



Although I'm not sure who Dennis Julian is, there is a restaurant with his name at the intersection of 7 Mile and John R. I had high hopes, as this was the first coney island type restaurant to try for this blog. However, upon entry, I noticed a putrid, sulfur-like scent. And to my chagrin, the employees were located behind bulletproof glass. I perused the elevated menu. My typical go-to at a coney island is breakfast food, but I was really feeling like a turkey sandwich this particular day. So I ordered a turkey sandwich plus swiss cheese. Then I took a seat and pondered playing Cruisin' USA, an arcade favorite from my youth. A construction worker beat me to it. Some fleas flew by. Then I decided to use the restroom, which requires a key of course. As I approached, it was obvious that the sulfur-like smell was emanating from the bathroom. I entered and held my breath. Flipping the light switch did nothing, so I managed with the crack of light peering under the door. As I went to exit, I noticed there was no interior door handle -- I had to scrape my way out with my fingernails on the edge of the door that I hadn't fully closed for this very reason.

I returned the bathroom key. The lady behind the glass asked me, "Was it clean in there? I just cleaned it an hour ago." 

My food was ready, so I retreated to my booth with it and water in a styrofoam cup. Biting into my sandwich, the turkey was slimy with oily swiss cheese melted onto it. Not the best turkey sandwich. While eating, a youngster said to me, "Music/movies new?" I think he was trying to sell CD's and DVD's, but I could barely hear him. I thought, "Shouldn't he be in school?"

This was closer to my work than most other Detroit restaurants, but based on the horrific smell and dripping turkey, Dennis Julian's gets a 2 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment