Sunday, December 9, 2012

L.A. Coney @ 1700 E. McNichols, Detroit. 7 out of 10.

This past Friday's visit took me back to the 48203 zip code, which is fairly central. Most of the restaurants fall somewhere between Woodward and I-75, but there are a handful of restaurants that lie just east of I-75. One such restaurant is L.A. Coney -- not only is it east of I-75, but it is also south of McNichols (6 Mile).

Since I was on the phone talking to a buddy about his impending move to North Carolina, I spent some time driving around the area. Some of the larger landmarks are Second Ebenezer Church, as well as the Highland Park water reservoir. Further south on Dequindre, I saw some artistic paintings on former businesses, including what appeared to be a Paul Revere / Grim Reaper almagamation.
Driving back toward the highway, I wasn't sure what to expect from looking at the outside of LA Coney, but I hoped for the best. The name itself seems like an oxymoron. How could something from L.A. also be from New York? As I entered, I noticed an overwhelming menu, including the obligatory Coney dog. But also on the menu were salads, burgers, chili, nachos, sandwiches, fish, chicken, quesadillas, pitas, subs, pancakes, omelettes, wraps, milkshakes, cookies, and cake. Dang, kid. Fortunately to my left there was a large illuminated billboard with only 6 items on it, so I chose one of them: a chicken quesadilla. 


 
Slightly different than most of the other Detroit restaurants I had tried, I would classify LA Coney as fast casual, along the lines of Chipotle or Five Guys. You order your food and pay for it at the front counter, and then they bring it to you. Then you clean up the table yourself before you leave. Without me asking, a waitress brought me a glass of ice water, which I thought was a nice touch. No un-biodegradable styrofoam here, folks. A few minutes later, my quesadilla was in front of me. I masticated it slowly, enjoying the flavors of cheese, chicken, green peppers, onions, and tomatoes on a flour tortilla. All while watching the Wendy Williams show and Access Hollywood Live (with Billy Bush!).

Keeping this review short, I give L.A. Coney a 7 out of 10. The only areas that they could improve would be making the restaurant feel more cozy inside, eliminating the glass between you and the servers (necessary at night in this neighborhood), and simplifying the menu. Overall, the food was good, the staff was very friendly, and the place was pretty busy. Plus, they have a drive-through, and they gave me a menu to take with me in case I would like to place a to-go order.


No comments:

Post a Comment