Monday, November 4, 2013

Nunn’s Barbeque, 19196 Conant Street, Detroit. 6 out of 10.

Recently I visited Nunn's Barbeque on Conant St, just around the corner from Asian Corned Beef. Parking was available on the side of the bldg. Inside two hi-top tables featured a total of 4 stools, so this place was set up more for take-out.

I studied the menu and almost ordered fish, but that didn't sound right at a BBQ place. So instead I asked (thru Plexiglass) for half of a barbecue chicken plus fries. I had the option for barbecue sauce on the fries, so I went for it. Nunn also sells their Bbq sauce by the bottle. Fortunately, I was also able to pay with my Visa card, so I didn't have to look for an ATM.

Talking to the lady behind the glass, I learned that the original owner passed away, but that his son now owns the restaurant. They are both named Alvin Nunn.

I must remark that this was not a very comfortable place to eat. No readily available restroom -- I would have had to ask and then go through the kitchen to get to it. The interior featured faux wood beadboard and blue decor. Wendy Williams was on the television -- talking about why Jay Z should pull his collections from the New York retailer Barney's. Very entertaining show.

When my food arrived, the chicken came in polystyrene packaging, which isn't easily recyclable. However, the food was excellent -- the chicken was cooked to perfection and fell right off the bone. Also, the fries with BBQ sauce tasted great. This trip was also my introduction to Grandad's Sweet Tea, which I later found is made in Warren, Michigan. It was a little on the sweet side for me, but hey, it's in the name.

Overall I give Nunn's a 6 out of 10. It's better as a to-go restaurant, but even then food would be packaged in polystyrene.
Former car dealership across from Nunn's

Crispy Chicken restaurant, no tables



Bottled BBQ sauce for sale






No comments:

Post a Comment